Sunday, December 25, 2005

Peace On Earth

I notice the irony that I titled a Christmas Eve post, "Hell On Earth." Aren't we supposed to wish Peace on Earth for Christmas? Well, let me do so -- with provisos.

Peace is a value devoutly to be wished, but peace at any cost is not. Peace through surrender is not good. Peace through appeasement is not good. Peace because a certain political party and its media allies make war so controversial that timid politicians take the easy way out and leave America precariously vulnerable to another terrorist attack is not good.

Peace through kicking the crap out of the enemy is good. All I want for Christmas is what Conan wants: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Yeah, that's what I want. And a nice pair of house slippers.

Merry Christmas. I'm about to go over to my brother's house to eat, exchange gifts and watch the Lakers beat the Miami Heat. I used to get a kick out of my nephews on Christmas, but now they're teenagers -- too cool to get excited.

Peace, baby.

No comments: