Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

I’ve always looked at Valentine’s Day with a jaundiced eye. It’s silly. Cupid flying around shooting people with arrows? Chocolates in a red heart-shaped box? “Be my valentine”? Do these things celebrate passionate love or trivialize it?

Valentine’s Day is for people who are not in love. They can compartmentalize their love to February 14, get it out of the way and return to their gray, passionless existence the other 364 days of the year.

Now I see that Islamic fundamentalists are attacking Valentine's Day. Damn them. They’ll make me defend the holiday. If they hate Valentine’s Day, then it must have some merit.

3 comments:

Jennifer Snow said...

IF I remember correctly, St. Valentine was canonized for continuing to perform marriages after the sacrement was banned, although I forget who banned it. My (shaky) understanding is that it was originally celebrated with Moonie-like mass marriages.

I personally don't see anything wrong with having an "official" day set aside to do something particularly special, but then I'm a bit of a fan of ceremony. Life can start to seem a little monotonous if you don't make time for sudden *stops* to reflect, especially if, like me, you're so busy that you forget to do more things than you remember.

My idea is, you don't want to wait until Valentine's day to do something special, but when it comes around you DO want to do something special.

If you must be a contrarian, though, you can always pick your own day. :)

Oh, and Happy Valentine's day, Myrhaf. I love your blog.

Myrhaf said...

Thanks, Jennifer! Perhaps I shouldn't be negative about any excuse to eat chocolate. But I absolutely draw the line at Easter! I refuse to celebrate the birth of a mythical god by hunting for painted eggs...

Jennifer Snow said...

Bah! The Catholics swiped that one! Easter's a pagan fertility goddess!

What, you're opposed to fertility now?!