Thursday, February 09, 2006

Kelly Clarkson

In my day job I listen to FM radio all day. There are worse ways to earn a living. It keeps this 49-year old in touch with the current music. Were it not for this job, Black Eyed Peas would just be beans to me.

Kelly Clarkson won a grammy. She deserves it. Of all the artists currently big in the Hits format (or “Top 40”), she most consistently chooses good songs to sing. “Breakaway” is a nice song in 6/8 time. “Since U Been Gone,” despite the trendy ignorance in the spelling, is good. The melody of “Walk Away” is almost as good as the pop hits of the ‘60s. “Because of You” is too much of a boring ballad with a stock melody for my taste.

In addition to picking songs with good music, she manages to avoid the vulgar lyrics that plague a lot of pop artists today. I hate to sound like a prude, but I cringe when I hear songs with explicitly sexual lyrics on stations that kids listen to.

She has a remarkable voice with a huge range, although she does get a bit screechy on the high notes.

I heard on the radio once that she was asked what she thinks of Bo Bice. She replied, "Who?" That made me laugh. The sweet Texan is getting in touch with her inner diva. Gotta love it!

I’m risking my credibility with the rockers I used to jam with in my youth, but congratulations, Kelly Clarkson!

1 comment:

EdMcGon said...

I am terribly offended by Kelly Clarkson's comments. Therefore, I officially declare a fatwa on Ms. Clarkson.

Sincerely,
Muhammed Bo Bice