Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Few Thoughts

1. It occurred to me that I don't care for the Superbowl much. First, the game is often (but not always) boring. Second, the halftime show is usually a garish, boring joke. Third, the commercials bother me. The purpose of the commercials is not to sell the product, but to call attention to themselves. It's like a messenger whose primary purpose is not to communicate his message, but to make people notice how well he delivers messages. Superbowl commercials are now elaborate, overproduced, annoying spectacles intended to make people say, "How clever!"

I also dislike the NBA All-Star Game because it's not a serious game, just showy offense. It too has ghastly halftime shows.

(Am I starting to sound like that uncle you dread having over?)

2. I auditioned today for a local Shakespeare Festival. It went well. I'll post what roles I get as soon as I know. "Witness For the Prosecution" is going well. The audience is listening intently. That is a credit to Agatha Christie's plot writing ability; she knows how to keep readers (or audience) in suspense. I would say blogging will be light for awhile, but everytime I do, I then go on a blogging frenzy.

3. In a conversation the other day I spoke the word commies. The room got a little chilly. I forgot I was talking to liberals. To liberals anyone who says commies is ignorant and backwards. There are some things a civilized person simply does not say.

(Bitches about halftime shows and says commies -- I am the uncle from hell!)

UPDATE: I was featured in a local newspaper article about the weekend's audition. I'm the 50-year old man who was interviewed.

UPDATE II: I got the part of Sir John Falstaff in The Merry Wives of Windsor. It's a big comic role and I'm quite happy to get it. I'm always excited when I begin working on a new part. I enjoy the process of discovery and creation more than the performances.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, for a second there, I thought you meant that uncle.

Myrhaf said...

Inspector, must your mind always be in the gutter?

Anonymous said...

"In a conversation the other day I spoke the word commies. The room got a little chilly. I forgot I was talking to liberals. To liberals anyone who says commies is ignorant and backwards. There are some things a civilized person simply does not say."

About a month ago at work some people were discussing politics. I make it a habbit to always avoid discussing politics at work. But on that particular day I slipped. The subject was health insurance. Anyway to make a long story short, I momentarily forgot what planet I was on and used the expression "the God-damned Left". The whole room stopped. You could here a pin drop. I was immediately bombarded with objections the essence of which is that I was an idiot for even suggesting that there was such a thing as the "left." You see all right thinking and moral people think that way and if you don't you must be a conservative wingnut.

I didn't apologize, I just basically walked away. The aftermath is that certain people wont even look at me now.

Bill Visconti

Myrhaf said...

In my experience liberals are MUCH less receptive to dissenting ideas than anyone else. The very mention of ideas outside the approved worldview of the left is evidence to them of a bad, inferior character.

Thomas Rowland said...

Congrats on Falstaff. A meaty part, forsooth.

Myrhaf said...

Verily! And I thank thee, kind sir.

Anonymous said...

The ads are primarily meant to make the brand memorable. It's supposed to be a long-term exercise. It doesn't always succeed, of course.