Saturday, March 24, 2007

Auditions

Boy, am I busy. I went into Hollywood on Thursday to audition for a professional Shakespeare company. Imagine that -- getting paid to act Shakespeare. I made the callbacks. Today the callback audition went well. They were very complimentary and nice, but who knows if I'll get in.

At the end of the audition, a director asked, "Are you in Equity?"

"No," I said.

The female director next to him asked, "SAG?"

"No."

"That's hard to believe," said the woman.

Well, that was a nice compliment.

Whether I get into this company or not, I'll probably move to Hollywood this summer to begin looking for acting work. Much of an actor's life is tedious -- sitting around on a movie set all day to say, "They went thataway." But then, my day job in radio is tedious, so I might as well do tedious acting work and get paid for it.

I'll have to do TV and movie work for money, but my first love will always be classical acting on stage.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whereabouts do you live, again? Will it be a big move?

Myrhaf said...

I live about 65 miles away in the Riverside-San Bernardino area of Southern California, also known as the "Inland Empire." No, it won't be a big move because I'll keep my place in the IE and just get a studio in LA.

SecFox HQ said...

This sounds great, Myrhaf. I hope you succeed in your quest to be a highly paid actor.
Blair

Myrhaf said...

Thanks, Blair! Actually, I would not mind being a poorly paid actor, as long as it paid the rent and I was able to quit my day job. It would be like quitting one day job for another, but acting has the potential for better things, whereas my current day job is a dead end.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you're already deep in the heart of darkness that is California.

Well, in for a penny...

Myrhaf said...

Are you dissing Cali? This is the home of Barbara Boxer, Barbra Streisand, Martin Sheen, the Los Angeles Times, the Crips and the Bloods, San Francisco...

Never mind.

EdMcGon said...

Myrhaf,
I don't remember who said it, but I remember hearing the story of someone (an agent? director?) who once told an actor something to the effect that if you want to be a starving actor, play the hero, but if you want to make a living at acting, play the villain.

I always thought villains would be more fun to play anyway. ;)

Myrhaf said...

Ed, since I'm 50 years old and overweight, I doubt I'll be playing many heroes.

Anonymous said...

Myrhaf wrote:

"Are you dissing Cali? This is the home of Barbara Boxer, Barbra Streisand, Martin Sheen, the Los Angeles Times, the Crips and the Bloods, San Francisco..."


And, of course, Governor Girly Man as I now call him. After all, he became exactly what he called others so why not apply the label to him? And he is not just an Economic Girly Man. He is also an Environmental Girly Man

Sometimes I am very glad I live in Texas. At least, that is, until too many people from the East and West Coasts come here and ruin our economy as well!

EdMcGon said...

Myrhaf,
I can see you playing the "fatherly" type, but I think you'd have more fun as a villain.

Of course, if they ever make "The Sam Kinison Story"... :)