Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Grim Tidings

Republican delegate count as of this writing:

McCain 597

Romney 240

Huckabee 178

What does it mean?

The Republican coalition is cracking up. The party has always been a coalition of disparate factions united only in that they are not Democrats. (I think that is why many Republicans hope Hillary Clinton gets the nomination; they need Republican hatred of Clintons to unite the party. This is a sad state for the party to be in.)

I suspect there are many Republicans who look at the three leading contenders left and see no one that remotely represents them.

I'm waiting for the nominees in both parties to be chosen before I make up my mind for November -- but I'm leaning toward the Democrat now. I really believe neither of the Democrats left would do as much harm to America as any of the Republicans.

In the end, I believe most Republicans will vote for the Republican. They will be angered in October when the Democrats, with the help of their propaganda wing in the MSM, bring out their October surprises and fling mud at the Republican. They did it to Bruce Hershenson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bob Dole and George W. Bush, that I can think of. The left's love of character assassination began with Borking in the 1980's. I know that I have been most motivated in the past to vote Republican by my outrage at the injustice and dishonesty of Democrat smear tactics. Wanting to punish the Democrats and the liberal MSM has been a powerful motivating force for the GOP. People like Hugh Hewitt and Rush Limbaugh know this all too well, and they whip up Republican outrage to get angry voters to the ballot box. The attempt to anger voters will be especially intense this year, because, as I noted above, there is nothing to unite Republicans for our candidate; the only chance is to unite the party in fear and loathing of the Democrat. (I intend to ignore the outrage this year.)

Whoever is elected President, I expect things to get worse before they get better.

Incidentally, hatred of the enemy is also the best thing the Democrats have going for them, as shown by the stupidest line uttered last night, by Hillary Clinton:

I won't let anyone swift-boat this country's future.

Maybe it was her way of assuring her moonbat base that she is still as loony as they are.

1 comment:

Michael Neibel said...

The repubs should reply that they won't let the Dems bork this nation's future. but of course they will. They don't know how to respond to such attacks and even if they did, the MSM is in the pocket of the DNC so any defense would never be heard by the public.