Monday, December 24, 2007

Movie Watching

I've already done two posts on Christmas Eve. For any other blog, that would be enough, but is the 'Haf done? Not yet!

I watched two movies today over at my sister's place. First, I must remark that she no longer buys DVD's. She just orders movies through her cable company and they play. What is this new system doing to Blockbuster Video's business?

We watched one good movie and one great movie.

The good movie was Rescue Dawn, which was reviewed by Joe Kane. It is suspenseful and interesting throughout, but the plot, based on a real story, is one dimensional.

The great movie was The Lives of Others, a German movie about the Stasi in 1984. It is one of the best movies I have seen. I won't go into the plot. The movie deals with issues of freedom and power. I would say the theme is morality vs. totalitarianism. The story brilliantly concretizes the value-conflict every step of the way. This movie is great for the reason Rescue Dawn is not: the story of The Lives of Others is entirely made up and is more satisfying than real life, whereas the story of Rescue Dawn is limited to what really happened.

Do not miss The Lives of Others.

UPDATE: I would like to add, upon reflection, that the last line of The Lives of Others is the best last line in movie history. It is even better than the last line of Some Like It Hot, which is the funniest last line ever.

I should also add that the acting is excellent across the cast -- but then, I have always been impressed by German actors. Two of my favorite movies are M and The Blue Angel. Emil Jannings and Gustaf Gründgens are brilliant in those movies.

3 comments:

EdMcGon said...

Myrhaf,
Just thought I'd let you know I got "Atlas Shrugged" for Christmas (I wasn't sure where to post this). I'll let you know what I think when I'm done with it, although it may be awhile because I'm already in the middle of another book. But "Atlas" will be next. ;)

Myrhaf said...

I hope you like it, Ed!

Joe said...

myrhaf,
You are right about the difference between the two movies. Thanks fo rthe mention!