Monday, November 12, 2007

Adventures In Dining

I like to go into restaurants I've never tried before and eat new dishes. Usually it works out all right, but once in awhile, such as today, I get burned. I went into a Thai restaurant and ordered something called Kai Kua. It is a noodle dish with chicken, so I thought I was safe. Noodles and chicken, how can you screw that up?

Had I read the list of ingredients further, I would have seen that it also has calimari. With my first bite I knew something was wrong; it was rubbery and redolent of the sea. Upon closer examination I found pieces of tentacle among the noodles and chicken.

Check, please.

If I were in the position of Tom Hanks's character in Cast Away, I could eat octopus or squid. If it's a matter of eat octopus or die, that cephalopod is history. But in any situation less desperate, I'll pass.

I won't be going back to that restaurant, which is hardly fair -- it's not their fault I can't read a menu -- but that's the way it is.

3 comments:

Joubert said...

Squid and baby octopus tentacles are delicious if deep-fried till crisp. The rest is too rubbery. But it must be fresh.

BTW Thanks for the mention below.

Too funny the word verification is clamwsea.

Myrhaf said...

Deep fried sounds like it might be good.

I could swear I've had clamwsea as a verification word myself. Do they recycle the words or randomly generate the letters?

Joubert said...

Random - but what goes round comes round. :)